Re: Pointer Events WG at TPAC in China Nov 11-15?; deadline May 6

On 5/1/13 11:38 AM, ext Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, Pointer Events WG members-
>
> W3C is having its annual Technical Plenary and Advisory Committee
> (TPAC) f2f meeting in Shenzhen, China, this year, on 18-22 November.
> This is where most the W3C working groups convene and cross-group
> discussion happens.

Actually, the dates have been changed to November 11-15. The TPAC home
page is <http://www.w3.org/2013/11/TPAC/>

> We've mentioned this before, but the Pointer Events WG has not yet
> resolved around this issue. We are trying to gauge attendance, so
> please let Art and me know if you are or are not likely to be able to
> attend in the next week or so.

Please reply by May 6 at the latest.

My _personal_ view is that given the good progress we have made without
f2f meetings, and assuming we can continue that progress going forward,
I don't see a compelling need for this group to meet f2f at TPAC (or
anywhere else).

OTOH, I don't object to us meeting at TPAC, provided: there is a clear
reason to meet; the meeting is relatively short (say 1/2 day maximum);
and we can provide teleconf support for remote attendees. Another option
(or perhaps in addition to meeting f2f) is to propose an informational
slot about Pointer Events during the Technical Plenary (TP) meeting
(Wednesday Nov 13) where we can provide, for example, an overview of the
technology, demos, Q&A, etc.

Regardless of whether or not this group meets at TPAC, that week
provides a great opportunity to attend (as an Observer) other Working
Group meetings, meet other W3C participants and to participate in
broad(er/ish) Web topics during the TP meeting.

(In the interest of a full disclosure, since the WebApps WG is meeting
on Monday and Tuesday of that week as well as the W3C Advisory
Committee, I intend to go to TPAC.)

-Thanks, AB