Re: Last Call comments

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Konstantinov Sergey
<twirl@yandex-team.ru>wrote:

> 08.04.2013, 18:14, "Rick Byers" <rbyers@google.com>:
> > Can you elaborate on how this is 'unusable' without gestures?  I expect
> consumers to continue to implement gestures in javascript as they have been
> already for Chrome (eg. hammer.js and other popular libraries).  They seem
> separate to me, but since no browser has yet shipped with pointer events
> and without gesture events, this is certainly an area of risk we should
> watch out for.  Otherwise I take a lot of comfort in the experience that
> has been gained programming to pointer events in IE10 (eg. I've talked with
> the Google maps team about their experience - which was generally positive).
>
> Okay, look at the hammer.js pointer code:
> https://github.com/EightMedia/hammer.js/blob/master/src/pointerevent.js
> 55 lines of code are just redundant and is used to handle the simpliest
> things: the number of touches and the positions of touches. And this code
> will be completely broken if some other script on the page uses the
> capturing.

I think it's unfair to point to an abstraction over several event types
when that's exactly what Pointer Events is. If Hammer.js was coding over
the Pointer Events API and mapping Touch Events to Pointer Events, the code
would be very different.

We are forcing EVERY web-developer to write such code; we (Yandex Maps API
> team) wrote such code too - just because such simple things are "out of
> scope" and "we will provide helpers in v2". Meanwhile every single js
> framework will be forced to write that code.

Surely that's not true. Most web developers will never write such code.
They will simply use someone else's code which already does this.

Also, what's wrong with iteration? Why is it imperative that v1 contain
everything?