Re: Make mouseenter/mouseleave behavior optional

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:58:34 +0200
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>, public-pointer-events@w3.org
On 11/20/2012 08:23 PM, Rick Byers wrote:
> Hi,
> In the compatibility with mouse events section [1], the pointer events
> draft dictates when mouseenter and mouseleave events should be
> dispatched.  However, I believe today only IE and Opera support these
> events [2].
Only webkit does not support mouseenter and mouseleave, and IIRC
there are some patches even for webkit to support them.

  Can we add an 'if supported by the UA' to the wording to
> make it clear that some UAs won't dispatch these events?
Why? mouseenter/leave are spec'ed elsewhere and implementations should support them.

>    Of course
> the wording around  mouseover/mouseout (which are universally
> supported) should not change.
>
> Bigger picture, I'm curious to hear why 'pointerenter' and
> 'pointerleave' weren't included in the pointer event design for IE.
> I've heard some web developers say that they prefer the enter/leave
> semantics (non-bubbling) to the over/out semantics.

Yes, that is  what I've heard too.
*enter/*leave events are slower because there need to be more events in those cases,
but they can be handy in certain cases.

-Olli