RE: what about styli with multiple buttons?

From: Brandon Wallace <brandon.wallace@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:39:44 -0700 (PDT)
To: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>

> The table of button states in Section 3.1.1.1 Chorded Button Interactions does not seem to take into account pens with multiple buttons (for example: my stylus has 2 buttons).
>
> Brandon

IE10's implementation just supports the "barrel" button of a pen stylus. It's mapped as the secondary button (e.g. equal to a right-mouse-button), which is the general consensus cross-device mapping amongst pen supporting applications.

Some pen devices have an "eraser" button on the end. Currently it just looks like a primary button in IE10 (same as the pen tip). I think there's clear value in exposing this as a separate button, but how to do so in a cross-device manner is not clear to me.  One approach might be to map it to the middle, X1, or X2 mouse buttons. However, functionally speaking, the eraser doesn't typically serve the same role as any of those buttons. Alternatively, we could mint a new value for this button altogether. What do you think is the best approach?

-Jacob