Re: Synchronizing Github Issues with W3C Mailing Lists

Simon,

there is indeed a way to have all submitted issues and their comments sent out to a W3C mailing list. However, that is used mostly as an archival mechanism. Indeed, afaik, answering to those mails will _not_ be redirected to the github issues as comments on issues, so it fails in what you describe.

However: any github user can 'watch' a specific repository. You may have to set an extra flag somewhere in your profile but then you do get an email for every issue and comments on that repository (note that the 'from' is a special github address in that case not the person putting in the comment). If you reply to _that_ email then indeed the reply will be logged on github as a comment to a specific issue. Everyone has an individual choice whether that is a mechanism he/she want to follow. (I myself do it all the time, and use the 'reply' for short answers…)

Cheers

Ivan

> On 2 Mar 2017, at 07:02, Simon Steyskal <simon.steyskal@wu.ac.at> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> One of the drawbacks of using Github for issue tracking (apart from missing IRC integration) is that in general only people that are assigned to an issue or explicitly mentioned in its comments are notified about updates/responses to the issue. Therefore, I would suggest to synchronize Github issues with our mailing list as explained in [1], thus allow for:
>
> -) Any issue that is created will trigger an email to be sent to the public mailing list of the W3C group.
> -) Any response to an issue will trigger an email to be sent to the public mailing list.
> -) Responding to an issue via email will log the response to the Github issue and send an email to the public mailing list.
>
> br, simon

> --
> DDipl.-Ing. Simon Steyskal
> Institute for Information Business, WU Vienna
>
> www: http://www.steyskal.info/  twitter: @simonsteys

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Publishing@W3C Technical Lead