Re: odrl exit criteria

> On 8 Nov 2016, at 03:21, Renato Iannella <renato.iannella@monegraph.com> wrote:
>
> After the discussion yesterday on normative/non-normative/at-risk terms in the ODRL Vocabulary, I looked at two recent examples:
>
> 1 - W3C Annotation Vocabulary: https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-vocab/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-vocab/>
> 2 - W3C Activity Vocabulary: https://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-vocabulary/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-vocabulary/>
>
> Both are at CR stage and both include a long list of terms/concepts.
>
> The Exit Criteria is key as it indicates how this CR will become a Proposed Rec.
>
> The Annotation exit criteria: https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-vocab/#candidate-recommendation-exit-criteria <https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-vocab/#candidate-recommendation-exit-criteria>
> talks about the "validity of the vocabularyā€¯ - and to be valid, it lists six demonstrable points - mainly about the parsing the ontology for errors and consistency, but not specific about any term(s).

This is not the complete picture. The 'core' document of the annotation wg is the model document. That document defines the annotation objects in JSON(-LD) without explicit reference to RDF and formal RDF vocabulary. The 'vocab' document, that you looked at, is "only" the translation of that model to formal RDF. The exit criteria for the former are in:

https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#candidate-recommendation-exit-criteria <https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#candidate-recommendation-exit-criteria>

Another relevant comparison may be the _proposed_ exit criteria for DPUB-ARIA. That spec defines a vocabulary (not in the RDF sense, but for the ARIA role attribute); here is the proposed criteria:

https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/dpub-cr/aria/dpub.html#exit_criteria <https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/dpub-cr/aria/dpub.html#exit_criteria>

Ivan

> The Activity exit criteria: https://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/#exit-criteria <https://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/#exit-criteria>
> is a lot more detailed - right down to each term being specified in an implementation report.
>
> We wil need an Exit Criteria for ODRL (soon) - so it might be best we draft this now - as that will give us the decision process as how we approach the normative/non-normative/at-risk-ness of our terms.   (and for the ODRL Information Model)
>

> Renato Iannella, Monegraph
> Co-Chair, W3C Permissions & Obligations Expression (POE) Working Group

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Technical Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/