De : public-pling-request@w3.org [mailto:public-pling-request@w3.org] De la part de Arosha K Bandara
Envoyé : vendredi 10 juillet 2009 18:57
Ŕ : MCrompton@iispartners.com; public-pling@w3.org
Cc : ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; 'Renato Iannella'
Objet : Re: Geolocation Last Call

Absolutely agree about these issues.  "Easy to use" controls are not simply about privacy settings for sharing information at a given point in time.  It also requires some appreciation of the potential future value of the information - something that we are not very good at assessing anyway.

I am an investigator on the PRiMMA project (http://primma.open.ac.uk) at the Open University in the UK where we are also looking at some of these issues.  I look forward to being a more active participant in this discussion going forward.

 - Arosha

Malcolm Crompton wrote:
> I agree, strongly.  The lack of sophistication in thinking around
> location based services & privacy is sometimes breathtaking.  It is
> neither 'anything goes' nor 'never disclose'.  It has to be much more
> nuanced than that.  A person on the lookout for a chance date is in a
> vastly different position from the person who is the secret negotiator
> going to the secret meeting to lock down the multi-million dollar
> deal.  AND the technology is NEVER going to be able to tell the
> difference, especially because it could in fact be the same person at different times in the same day.
>
> And that is before we bring in policing, national security and
> emergency rescue...
>
> Informed, easy to use control with the right default settings (just
> ask the behavioural economists et al) is going to be the only solution.
>
> Regards
>
> Malcolm Crompton
>
> Managing Director
> Information Integrity Solutions Pty Ltd ABN 78 107 611 898
>
> T:  +61 407 014 450
>
> MCrompton@iispartners.com
> www.iispartners.com

Arosha K Bandara, PhD
Lecturer, The Open University,      e-mail: a.k.bandara@open.ac.uk
Walton Hall Campus                  Tel   : +44 1908 653545
Milton Keynes, MK 76AA, UK
          http://fasturl.open.ac.uk/a.k.bandara.htm