Re: Future Internet Conference and Technical Workshops, May 2009, Prague

On Friday 03 October 2008, Dan Brickley wrote:
> See also brief discussion on the SWIG list,
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Sep/0075.html

Interesting reading.

> I'm still interested to learn more about John's statement there,
> that... "Semantics as a topic is taken into consideration in Future
> Internet meetings. The Web is not."

Look at
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/eeurope/i2010/index_en.htm

In Reding's Commission communication, there is a clear indication that
the understanding of "the Web" is HTTP+HTML. Taken in this context,
John's remark makes sense. But you may ask him back whether he meant
it that way.

John talks about semantics, Reding mentions also semantics and gives
credit to Tim. GRIDs (in the European sense) need truckloads of
semantics. I think SWIG has its role to play there.

But some semantics are really special to social concepts. It will not
be sufficient to just have the technical guys. The main challenge
within the semantic arena is to make technical and non technical
people cooperate. We have some record in that area, but it wasn't an
easy ride.

Best,

Rigo