W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pling@w3.org > July 2008

Meeting record: PLING monthly 2008-07-09

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:23:07 -0400
To: public-pling@w3.org
Message-ID: <20080710132307.GA32529@iCoaster.does-not-exist.org>

Minutes from our meeting on 2008-07-09 are available online here:

   http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html

A text version is included below the .signature.

-- 
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>




   [1]W3C

                  Policy Languages Interest Group Monthly Call

09 Jul 2008

   See also: [2]IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Ashok Malhotra, Thomas Roessler, Hannes Tschofenig, Rigo
          Wenning, Renato Iannella, Marco Casassa-Mont, Christina
          Tziviskou, John Brisbin

   Regrets
   Chair
          Renato

   Scribe
          rigo, tlr

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Review of Recent Activity
         2. [5]Liaisons
         3. [6]Events
         4. [7]AOB
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________

Review of recent activity

   RI: reviewing wiki activity in last 4 weeks

   RW: swamped, have lots of interesting cases to write up

   RI: any major additions to the wiki past 4 weeks
   ... two new languages added

   <tlr> PROTUNE

   <tlr> ScribeNick: tlr

   RW: PrimeLife deliverable
   ... about to be published ...
   ... contains lots of review of standards the project will try to
   address ...
   ... collection of policy languages ...
   ... have to see whether we have all of these in that list ...
   ... and also whether there are additions in the PrimeLife list ...

   RI: Analysis as well as just documenting?

   RW: Not a deep analysis
   ... just adds some explanation of what these do ...
   ... still lots of pages ...

   MCM: Description of successful use cases? pros/cons?

   RW: Good idea, but we haven't done that yet
   ... maybe if we ever come across implementation, let's add that to wiki
   ...

   HT: Think Implementation itself is nice ...
   ... deployment is the crucial part ...
   ... I worked on a specific protocol that's widely implemented ...
   ... but in fact not widely deployed ...

   RW: Interesting

   HT: Protocol is diameter
   ... it's a AAA protocol ...
   ... 26 implementations, but hardly any use ...
   ... implementations are interesting, but it doesn't help ..
   ... understand why things are not successful wrt deployment ...

   MCM: important to consider deployment

   HT: Hard to get by with that information about deployments

   RW: Hard work indeed.

   RI: Looking forward to PrimeLife report

   MCM: Public deliverable?

   RW: In the loop for publication clearance

   RI: </languages>
   ... No new use cases added that I've seen.
   ... anything new from Marco?

   MCM: Haven't seen anything extremely different
   ... main driver is how to deal with multiple languages in different
   contexts ...
   ... big theme in HP ...
   ... talking to some of the business groups ...
   ... common context is heterogeneous ...
   ... environments with enforcement and decision points at different
   points of the stack ...
   ... conservative approach to change ...
   ... any compelling way to combine / compare different policies ...
   ... check for inconsistencies ...
   ... update consistently ...

   RI: Reviewing other sections of wiki, not much new

   RW: What's PROTUNE about?

   RI: There's a link from the wiki. Don't know it in detail.

   RW: Picos?

   MCM: Trying to get people to join these calls, but conflict today.

   re PROTUNE:
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Concrete_examples_given_in_Prot
   une

   RW: share information on pling mailing list?

   -- scribe takes break --

   MCM: (PICOS summary)

   <rigo> [10]http://www.picos-project.eu/

   RI: Please update the wiki. If you make major changes, please alert the
   list.

Liaisons

   RI: ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 27 WG5?

   RW: Talked to convener two weeks ago.
   ... have to submit paper
   ... access to documents, excuse for publication of specs
   ... I'm tracking the action already.

   RI: PrimeLife?

   RW: I'd love to get Jan C on these calls.
   ... tlr, bug him?

   <scribe> ACTION: tlr to bug JanC [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action01]

   RI: Concordia?

   TR: No news, sorry.

   MCM: Started by Liberty, interoperability for FIM

   <renato> ACTION: rigo liaison letter to SC27/Wg5 [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action02]

   MCM: Monitoring
   ... not sure contact needs to be created from scratch ...
   ... it's been launched by liberty alliance; purpose is to be
   independence ...
   ... name says it all ...

   TR: Maybe best to approach them in the context of broader conversation
   with Liberty.

   RI: ok, let's keep it on the back-burner
   ... anything else we should be looking at?

   RW: I saw something about ODRL and microformats...
   ... one of the chairs is a good liaison candidates ..

   <scribe> ACTION: Renato to put in material re ODRL and
   microformat-representation [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action03]

   RW: Negation in ODRL?

   RI: ODRL 2

   RW: How is it modelled?

   RI: actions, prohibitions, high-level
   ... modeling side, don't have the answer yet ...
   ... things have been a bit slow on ODRL front ...
   ... not getting much of a push from market or industry ...
   ... to put out v2 quickly ...

   RW: Understandable.

   RI: Happy to report on ODRL here.
   ... anything else?

   MCM: infocard foundation as been created
   ... could be interesting to do liaison ...
   ... suspect exploration of policiese to handle infocards ...
   ... back-end management of infocards ...

Events

   RI: f2f meeting proposal for TPAC
   ... 23/24 October ...
   ... That's Thu/Fri of that week ...
   ... we have a room scheduled ...
   ... have to get back to them and say "yes, we want" ...
   ... (or "no") ...
   ... need to decide quickly whether to go ahead with f2f ...
   ... if it's not of interest, we should W3C that resource can be
   released ...

   RW: Understand RI won't be able to come?

   RI: 80% probability that I can come
   ... depends on external factors ...
   ... lookign reasonably well that I could make it ...
   ... issue is how many other people are here ...

   RW: Think one of the chairs should raise things on the mailing list ...
   ... TR and I will care for having people invited where needed, and all
   that ...

   <scribe> ACTION: RI to poll group about TPAC attendance [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action04]

   RW: Maybe raise in ac-forum?
   ... we can't issue another call for participation ...
   ... maybe also in chairs ...
   ... maybe meeting the experts might be useful for other groups ...

   RI: Happy to draft e-mail to ac-forum to highlight that ...

   RW: 95 subscribers on mailing list
   ... maybe we can get some feedback ...

   RI: Will send something soon.

   RW: Agenda important.

   RI: anything else on f2f?
   ... Also, IEEE policy 2008
   ... to occur, has occured?

   MCM: I raised this point last time to ask if anybody here was there
   ... don't know that we've anything relevant ...

   RW: Maybe ask on mailing list?

   MCM: good idea

   RI: Interesting papers.

   <renato> Paper from IEEE Policy
   <[15]http://www.usukita.org/?q=node/183>

AOB

   UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: the charter is extended through June 2009 ...
   ... thanks to Rigo ...

   RW: Meeting at barrier reef!
   ... preferably in winter ...

   RI: So, we're here for another year
   ... any other other business

   <boabjohn> Many apologies: more progress on usecases next meeting

   RI: next meeting scheduled for 13 August
   ... same time ...

   <rigo> 13

   RI: telco is scheduled monthly
   ... adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Renato to put in material re ODRL and
   microformat-representation [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: RI to poll group about TPAC attendance [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: rigo liaison letter to SC27/Wg5 [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: tlr to bug JanC [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version 1.133
    ([21]CVS log)
    $Date: 2008/07/10 13:21:42 $

References

   1. http://www.w3.org/
   2. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-irc
   3. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#agenda
   4. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#Review
   5. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#item01
   6. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#item02
   7. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#item03
   8. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#ActionSummary
   9. http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Concrete_examples_given_in_Protune
  10. http://www.picos-project.eu/
  11. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action01
  12. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action02
  13. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action03
  14. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action04
  15. http://www.usukita.org/?q=node/183%3E
  16. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action03
  17. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action04
  18. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action02
  19. http://www.w3.org/2008/07/09-pling-minutes.html#action01
  20. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
  21. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

-- 
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>
Received on Thursday, 10 July 2008 13:23:42 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 10 July 2008 13:23:42 GMT