RE: Policy use case

Michael,

thanks for sharing your use case and related requirements with us.

I understand that some of the key aspects of your use case and requirements are:

- "access" to data depends on the context, including people roles, involved institutions, intent/purpose, nature of data, etc.
- time-based constraints on data retention/access
- potential conflicts between policies defined by different stakeholders
- relevace of the legal/legislative framework
- need to formalise all these aspects in policies in a framework involving policy decision making and enforcement
- need to create awareness and handle penalty clauses

In my view, this is an interesting use case, where a blend of security and privacy policies need to be properly represented and enforced on personal/sensitive data. Further "complexity" is introduced by the need to comply with legislation and deal with the "multiparty" nature of this scenario, where competing policies exist and conflicts could arise.

Does anybody else would like to add their input and/or comments to this use case?

We should start refining some of the core flavours and needs emerging from use cases and capture them in the in the PLING Wiki site. This site should now be up an running.

Thomas, Rigo - could you please provide the PLING mailing list with details about how to access the PLING Wiki site and related procedures?

Regards,
Marco

________________________________

[http://www.hp.ca/corporate/signature/hp_logo.gif]<http://www.hp.com/>

Marco Casassa Mont
Senior Researcher
Hewlett-Packard Labs

+44 117 3128794 Phone
+44 117 3129250 Fax
marco_casassa-mont@hp.com<mailto:marco_casassa-mont@hp.com>
http://www.hpl.hp.com<http://www.hpl.hp.com/>

External Web Page: http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/mcm/
Blog:   http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/mcm

 'All points of view are my own and not necessarily HP's as well'
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road,      Bracknell,  Berks RG12 1HN Registered No: 690597 England

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender.

To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".