Re: contradiction and controversy - was: Is it necessary for the semantic web to be self contradictory? -

On 20 June 2015 at 07:51, Delfí Ramírez <delfin@delfiramirez.info> wrote:

>  Hi all:
>
> I agree both with Larry & henry, except for my knowledge, and skepticism,
> on this modern French philosophers mentioned.
>
> Talking on the build of a semantic web that can be analogical in certain
> terms, to our mental model of the World, I would like to remark and to
> scope the need in a future, for a "*Model of Truths*" instead of a
> single  "true" model, besides a single"truth model" works certainty in the
> realm of Applied Logic.
>
> Here comes in mind the subsets we know from the Set Theory and the
> relations ( binomial or polinomial ) between those subsets.
>
> Beliefs, as a LiebensForm, are needed for our representation of the web
> and its semantic scenario.
>
> Those beliefs, the ones that come from introspection and analysis, might
> not be "true" in the sense of truth as a Universal value.
>
> Regarding controversy, well, just comes also in mind the time we are
> living this life, not producing physically but dreaming, in fact sleeping.
> Relations of memories and facts whichmight seem true, in that brief moment
> of time.
>
> Have a nice week-end

Yes I agree.

I guess there are 3 truths.

True in space
True in time
True in logic

These are going to vary from perspective to perspective.

What is needed is not a one universal top down truth.  But bottom up truths
coming to a consensus in a useful way.  Ultimately utility may not be
completely correlated to truth.  And we want to build useful things, so we
may need systems that can tolerate multiple truths and optimize for utility.