Re: Political Rhetoric, Philosophy, and Digital Textbook Selection Processes

Hi Adam,

	What I'd like to know is what you think is special philosophically about digital
textbooks from other things that appear on the web? Could you not come up
and write a three page e-mail about digital novels, or digital research papers,
digital Haikus, etc... ad infinitum using exactly the template of the text your wrote
below? Was it not Socrates who taught us to try to find the essential elements
of the concept of the Good, and not get lost in the miriad details of ways things
can be good - which can all of course be important as ways of verifying the correctness
of the analysis of good.

   	I bring this up whilst acknowledging that the same argument can be
applied to the philosophy of the Web. It was Francois Rastier I think who joked that
if we have a philosophy of the Web, why not also a philosophy of naked breasts on the
beach or a philosophy of skateboarding? Of course Rolland Barthes would have
gone off and written just such a philosophy at the mere suggestion of its possibility
of it annoying some bourgeois I think.  But of course we are not trying to create
a philosophy of the web, as much as help show how philosophical issues are
implicated in the creation of web standards. There is a therapeutic dimension
to philosophy that Wittgenstein brought out: people, and in this case engineers,
get tied up in knots in certain types of problems that philosophers have studied
for a long time. They get tied up in knots, and so it is there are techniquest that can
be used to untie these knots.

Currently I am not sure what your problem is.

Henry

On 9 Jan 2013, at 07:03, Adam Sobieski <adamsobieski@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Web Philosophy Community Group,
>
> Greetings. There are some salient philosophical topics with regard to political rhetoric, what is entailed from various implicit or explicit ontological suppositions or constructions, for instance with regard to concepts like "us" and "them". Insights into human nature can be obtained from such analysis of rhetoric, dialogue and discourse.
>
> Onto some of the philosophical topics and discourse analytical topics of political rhetoric, we can envision and observe occurrences in documents across the Web, where "us" is the American people and "them" is the government. We can also envision and observe suppositions and constructions where the public sector buildings' parking lots are filled with the cars of our friends and our neighbors during the hours of 9 to 5; in that supposition, the people in America are all "us". Interestingly, the people in the public buildings, when discussing the American people, the public, also make use of "us" and "them" suppositions and constructions.
>
> Rhetorical suppositions and constructions, including but not limited to those of the variety of "us" and "them", are often utilized to express ideas succinctly in discourse and often "us" pertains to the speaker and an audience in public speaking and "them" is some subset of mankind or society under discussion.
>
> Political rhetoric also often includes simplifications which predate mass media; for instance, the government was Bill Clinton, then was George W. Bush, and is, today, Barack Obama. Such simplifications can also be observed in public opinion polls, including online public opinion polls, where there are the approval ratings of the few visible representatives, or of the entire Congress, as opposed to more detailed or granular public opinion polls which might invite citizens to engage in civil discourse.
>
> With regard to philosophical topics of political rhetoric, context, linguistic pragmatics, discourse analysis, and argument reconstruction are topical. Suppositions and constructions, as aforementioned, may pertain to semantic models, conceptual backdrops, the contexts of utterances pertinent to meaning. In the philosophy of science, the semantic view of theories indicates models as relating to theories. Each concept’s or theory’s definition includes, beyond semantics, logic and mathematics, its inclusion in a set of models. Each model contains a set of interoperating concepts and theories. Suppositions or constructions can pertain to models, abstractly, semantic backdrops, parts of the context in which statements or utterances are made and have meaning. Additionally, in spoken language, there is also both prosody and intonation.

> [...]

A short message from my sponsors: Vive la France!
Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/