Re: Refers Or Denotes?

Traditionally, reference is understood as the relation between a name and
a referent while denotation is used for the objects that satisfy a concept
(Frege's Wertverlauf, corresponding to "extensions", though this term
itself has a long history!).

The distinction is made very clear in Russell's philosophy especially
against Meinong and his theory that whatever you point at (typically with
a name) is an object, whether existent, non-existent, impossible, etc.

Cheers,
A.

--

Responsable Recherche Web et Métadonnées à l'Institut de Recherche et
d'Innovation du Centre Pompidou (IRI)

Co-chair du W3C Community Group "Philosophy of the Web"
http://www.w3.org/community/philoweb/
Responsable du séminaire "Digital Studies & Metada Studies", 2012-2013
(Ministère de la Culture, IRI)
Co-organisateur des "Rencontres du Web de données" au Centre Pompidou
Membre du comité de rédaction de la revue Implications Philosophiques

Twitter : @aamonnz & @PhiloWeb
Philosophy of the Web, http://web-and-philosophy.org/
PhiloWeb on Dailymotion, http://www.dailymotion.com/PhiloWeb
Philosophy and Web discussion list @INRIA,