Re: operational semantics - Fwd: rdf semantics and timelessly true

Hi Henry, Hi Ross, Hi all,

We had a presentation last spring at the Philoweb seminar I was hosting at
La Sorbonne of a student of Jean-Yves Girard, Samuel Tronçon, who, like
others, is working on a project whose goal is to study the semantic Web
 from the perspective of linear logic, ludic and geometry of interaction.
You can find more information about it here :
http://www.anr-loci.fr/axes-de-travail/article/tache-4-communication-web-et

Sorry, that's in French!

Best,
A.

Le Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:55:05 +0100, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
a écrit:

> [...]
>
> Genzen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentzen's_consistency_proof
> Deep Inference: http://alessio.guglielmi.name/res/cos/
>
> I'd be interested in a good pointer to the definition of causality,
> as I like David Lewis' defintion of causality as a relation between
> two events such that
>
>  e1 causes e2  iff  had e1 not occurred, e2 would not have occurred
> either
>
> He then needs to tune this definition, because events can be
> overdetermined
> by multiple causes. Something he looks at in a book Edited by John
> Collins, Ned
> Hall and L.A.Paul "Causation and Counterfactuals"
>
> Henry
>

> Anyway, thanks for the pointers. Those are things I need to study more
> carefully.
>

>> N.B. I'm not posting this publicly. Is this relevant to the philoweb
>> group? I had not been aware of that group before you CC'd the list..
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ross

>>> It helps to move to modal logic to solve this problem. David Lewis has
>>> developed a modal logic that works with classical logic and that allows
>>> indeed truth to be contextual: the context being the whole of a
>>> universe's
>>> life from beginning to end. It is contextual in that the universe could
>>> have been different. RDF Semantics uses this intuition:

>>> The basic intuition of model-theoretic semantics is that asserting a
>>> sentence makes a claim about the world: it is another way of saying
>>> that the world is, in fact, so arranged as to be an interpretation
>>> which makes the sentence true. In other words, an assertion amounts to
>>> stating a constraint on the possibleways the world might be. Notice
>>> that there is no presumption here that any assertion contains enough
>>> information to specify a single unique interpretation. It is usually
>>> impossible to assert enough in any language to completely constrain
>>> the interpretations to a single possible world, so there is no such
>>> thing as 'the' unique interpretation of an RDF graph. In general, the
>>> larger an RDF graph is - the more it says about the world - then the
>>> smaller the set of interpretations that an assertion of the graph
>>> allows to be true - the fewer the ways the world could be, while
>>> making the asserted graph true of it.
>>> </cite>

>>> It is very helpful to think semantically and not syntactically, because
>>> it is what helps us move beyond syntactic fashions, and what allows us
>>> map different systems together.
>>>
>>> In any case here you bring in a new element namely who said what
>>> ( or where you got the  information from ). That is very important for
>>> determining all kinds of elements such as trust, fictionality, etc...
>>> After all since a graph is just the set of possible worlds in which it
>>> is
>>> true, this means that a graph can describe fictional as well as the
>>> world. It could describe worlds that have different physical laws than
>>> ours,

--

Responsable Recherche Web et Métadonnées à l'Institut de Recherche et
d'Innovation du Centre Pompidou (IRI)

Responsable du séminaire "Digital studies, Metadata studies : les enjeux
de la contribution", 2012-2013 (Ministère de la Culture, IRI)
Co-organisateur des "Rencontres du Web de données" au Centre Pompidou
Membre du comité de rédaction de la revue Implications Philosophiques

Twitter : @aamonnz & @PhiloWeb
Philosophy of the Web, http://web-and-philosophy.org/
PhiloWeb on Dailymotion, http://www.dailymotion.com/PhiloWeb
Philosophy and Web discussion list @INRIA,