Re: Socialization on the Web

On 12/29/2012 07:57 PM, Adam Sobieski wrote:
> Web Philosophy Community Group,
>
> I hereby request a concise, unequivocal and unconditional personal and
> public apology, in this forum, from both Henry Story and Harry Halpin,
> in their roles as Chairs of the Web Philosophy Community Group, where
> certain misconduct did occur, in their Community Group, and on their
> part, with regard to the ordinary expectations of interpersonal
> etiquette in scientific forums.

Your first email on 3D textbook standards was just off-topic and so we
directed you to on-topic mailing lists, which is both appropriate and
polite. I, as any W3C or IETF chair would, simply suggest you send
on-topic mail to the list. For example, the socialization topic you
brought up is very interesting and on topic for this community group as
it has a clear philosophical angle, and hopefully it provokes a good
discussion and possibly even some findings.

I suggest you look at these guidelines from the IETF, a similar
standards body to W3C, on email interactions, particularly the mass e-mail:

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2635.txt

Also, re the "meaning of philosophy", an appropriate 2-3 sentence
definition is hard, but  Wikipedia is close enough:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

For my personal view, I suggest Deleuze and Guattari's "What is
Philosophy?"

Regardless, it was unclear at best how 3D standards for textbooks had
any relationship to "general and fundamental" problems from your email.
For example, an email about how the nature of 3D multimedia changes
philosophical approaches to language, ideally referencing well-known
issues in philosophy of language, would be appropriate.

    cheers,
      harry