Re: ARIA and mainstream UI (was RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect)

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 13:53, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> One of the distinctions I'm trying to make is that UAs should be restricted from doing adding behavior based on ARIA when that behavior *conflicts* with behavior defined in a host language spec. For example, role="button" should not change the implicit tabindex value or keyboard behavior of an element, because those behaviors are already defined in the host language. A UA's implementation of ARIA should not *break* the UA's implementation of the host language behavior.
>
> The second point I'm trying to make is that changing *any* default behavior based on ARIA is a slippery slope, with a lot of potential to conflict with future behavior. It also increases the likelihood developers will be mistrustful or ARIA-based retrofits, due to concern that they might negatively affect the primary interface of their web applications.
Thank you for clarifying the point, James.

There are essentially two ways of creating new interactive elements today: (1) by extending a host language and implementing the new features, and (2) by creating custom interactions, e.g., with HTML or SVG, CSS and JavaScript. The second method is soon to be further facilitated by Web Components.

This, I think, is as it should remain. Specifically, the right way to extend user agent behavior is by doing the work to enhance host languages themselves, especially HTML and SVG.

I find the “invisible metadata” argument in support of using host language features, where possible, and for avoiding the unnecessary use or creation of accessibility-specific features, highly persuasive. New features intended for general use should be made available for everybody, including users with disabilities, in the host languages.

There’s an important role for ARIA in making Web Components accessible, but this is entirely compatible with the purpose of ARIA as it has historically been understood.

Thank you for your compliance.