Re: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 16:59, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> I think it will take a long time to see an alternative in the browser though. With the move to mobile I see a lot less need for drag and drop. That may change as real estate in mobile devices get larger. There are a lot higher priorities than drag and drop underway: web components, SVG, device independent interaction, etc.

I have encountered drag and drop “in the wild” as part of a mobile application and indeed in the operating system. It is also becoming significant in educational contexts where students are expected to match pairs of objects (e.g., an exercise requiring book titles to be associated with their corresponding authors). Other interactions in educational applications require a list of objects to be reordered. I’ve encountered the same task in a mobile telephony application, where the user can reorder the prioritized list of speech codecs in a configuration dialogue.

For keyboard users, it is typically more efficient to substitute a different user interface that does not rely on a drag and drop metaphor. This could in principle be facilitated by personalization techniques, including personal need and preference profiles. In a touch-based mobile interface, however, the efficiency gain is not so clear.

Thank you for your compliance.