RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

Any replacement would be in ARIA 2.0 or if hell freezes over HTML 6+. :-)

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, James Craig
            <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>,
            "lwatson@paciellogroup.com" <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>, WAI
            Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Date: 09/15/2015 03:26 PM
Subject: RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

> Bryan, please weigh in on the number of customers you have that are using
it and the size of these companies. Are they federal agencies? What?

I know of four instances that I’ve worked with personally in the last three
years. I can’t name names due to NDA, but one is a mainstream financial
institution, two are within help desk applications, and another is from a
public sector agency. They do have user bases that equate to millions.

I’ve also trained those I work with over the years to use the same
technique I’ve demonstrated to ensure the accessibility of not just Option
nodes, but also Tabs, Treeitems, and Gridcells and Rows within sortable
Grids. I don’t know to what extent these have propagated outward in that
time.

The problem with removing aria-grabbed and aria-dropeffect from the API
mappings, is that it will render all instances of these widgets suddenly
inaccessible for those users, and the state information provided by their
inclusion cannot be replaced by anything else if they are removed.

For this reason, I agree that the spec text is confusing and needs to be
changed or removed, but at the same time there needs to be an equivalent
that can provide this critical state information when needed; otherwise we
are driving the specification backwards and not forwards by not allowing a
means for developers to use currently existing mappings to make such
widgets accessible in the future wherever ARIA is supported.

Since these attributes already exist and the mappings can already be proven
to work accessibly on supporting platforms, it seems logical to utilize
what we already have that works and remove the verbiage that doesn’t so we
can maximize the two without impairing current technologies that already
take advantage of these features accessibly.