RE: aria-current concerns from Apple

How do you see this working from an AT user's perspective? Using your
example, would a screen reader announce something like "List of N items, X
is current TokenType"? For example, "List of 5 items, Home is current page".

> > The current modal can also lead to author errors if aria-current is
modified
> on all other objects when choosing a new aria-current. For example, what
is
> the expectation when a list has two elements that both claim to be
> "current"?
> >
> > New proposal:
> >
> > aria-indicatortype="TOKEN( page | date | ... )" on the leaf element.
> > 	remains the token based list of options
> >
> > aria-current="IDREF" on the container element
> > 	its value should be the ID of the object that is current, which must
be
> a descendant of the container.

This proposal makes sense to me. It would reduce the chances of duplication
through author error, and would actually make author implementation much
easier by having only one attribute to update as circumstances changed.

Unless it's possible to derive the same information through other means, I
think the token types are worth keeping. They make useful information
available about the type of thing that is current. This may be particularly
useful where there are multiple current elements within the same page (the
current page in a navigation block, and the current date in a date-picker
for example).

It might be worth associating the two attribute names though? This for
author usability as much as anything. Perhaps -current and -currenttype?

If this proposal gets consensus, I'm happy to revisit the -current
definition, and write-up the new attribute spec text if helpful.

Léonie.

--
Senior accessibility engineer @PacielloGroup @LeonieWatson