Re: Issue-742: Proposal aria-destination

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:12:46 +0200, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>

> You’ve noted that the values may have to be mapped to the accessibility
> APIs. As what?
>
> Again, if aria-destination is what we are looking at, it strikes me that
> what you are after is a better (accessible) description of where the
> link goes to, so that >it is more 'useful' to screen readers (as after
> all, the functionality is already clear - it's a link).
>
> We can do that today with existing ARIA constructs, and it is an
> authoring issue rather than a mapping/new functionality issue:
>
>        Terms and Conditions<a href="#footnote" aria-label="Footnote:
>

> What am I missing?
That the COGA people are explicitly asking for machine-readable terms to
do automated processing. (As I believe DPub are doing).

> From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]The meta data @rel
> is important because we would need to define a strategy to map it to AT
> if necessary.

Agreed. THe key here is "if ncessary". You only need to care about rel
values relevant to accessibility - and we can (and IMHO should) write a
spec that singles those out and suggests appropriate implementation
patterns.

> ... regarding the Web being ugly that does not mean we need to make it
> more ugly. We discussed the @rel attribute on the ARIA call and there
> are a lot of concerns about it >being a kitchen sink of meta data
> related to the prior sentence. That may be where the group goes but that
> is still to be determined.

OK. Part of the issue I see is that there is a pretty nasty architectural
ugliness in having two different ways fo doing the same thing - one of
which is for "accessibility" and one of which is for "everyone else".

Anyway, I am hoping to discuss it at TPAC - in part because I think there
are some clear lessons for HTML about some things that need to be
tweaked...

cheers