Re: Issue-742: Proposal aria-destination

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:39:34 +0200, Richard Schwerdtfeger
<schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> This is not a formal proposal but one that would seed a formal proposal
> if the group agrees. I would need to coordinate with coga and the
> aria-dpub folks. Normally I would push this to ARIA 2.0 but because we
> have two efforts wanting essentially the same thing and I don't want to
> have multiple roles for a link I believe this is a better approach.
>
> aria-destination - Provides the context of a link.
>
> This attribute provides contextual semantics for the destination of a
> link so that authors may use this information to drive a consistent user
> interface. Some assistive technologies may this information important to
> provide to assistive technologies.
>
> The following is a list of possible values that the destination could
> take on from the coga task force and I suggest we consider a subset of
> these:

> * home

Does this mean a home page? If so, it is covered by the existing
rel="start" which is already in HTML 4 [1] and in HTML5 through being
listed in the microformats wiki [2]. The proposed rel="home" [3] seems to
be a synonym.

> * sign in
> * sign up

These values should be proposed for rel. The HTML specifications have
traditionally suggested the address element for these, but it is
insufficiently clear what the content means.

> * site map

This is covered by the proposal for rel="sitemap" [4] to be included in
HTML5.

> * help

This is already part of HTML5 [5] as rel="help"

> * terms

Does this mean license, which is already in HTML5 [6], or something else?

> * comment
> * language (English)
> * post
> * social (provide label - such as facebook twitter)
> * tools

Can you explain what these are meant to do, or provide a pointer to where
they are described or discussed in more detail? It is pretty hard from the
standalone page linked to understand

> * about us
> * contact us
> * our email
> * our phone
> * product
> * services

These things are already covered by the widely used schema.org,
*currently* used on millions of domains. It makes more sense to read that
existing markup than to try and build a parallel version

> This is based on this wiki:
> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/issue-papers/links-buttons.html
>
> I introduce this now as the dpub aria task force roles for different
> types of links which reflect the destination of the link provided. Since
> both task forces need a feature like this we should place an anchor
> inside ARIA 1.1 so that they mau build off it.

Instead of doing that, I suggest putting this in HTML itself, except for
the cases where schema.org seems to have a significant mind-share and
deployment already.

> The current Digital Publishing WAI-ARIA module
> (http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/dpub.html) has these roles:
>

> doc-biblioref: A reference to a bibliography entry.
> doc-glossref: A reference to a glossary definition

Both of these are readily covered - glossary by the existing rel value,
biblioref by retrieving the proposal that wasn't accepted for HTML 4.

> doc-location: A link that allows the user to jump to a related location
> in the content (e.g., from a footnote to its reference, from an index
> entry to where the topic is discussed, or from a glossary definition to
> where the term is used).

The footnote use case can easily be covered with the existing rel="prev" /
rel="previous".

For an index entry this makes less sense, as it is very common that there
will be multiple places a term appears.

An alternative approach would be to use the rev attribute for this case,
as this seems to be a pretty sound use case.

> doc-noteref: A reference to a footnote, typically appearing as a
> superscripted number or symbol in the main body of text.

This can readily be covered by retrieving the proposed rel="footnote".

> I recommend these be additional tokenized values, without the doc-, for
> aria-destination and a subset of what coga would like for ARIA 1.1. The
> Coga task force can then expand on the values.
>

> example:
>
> style {
>
> a[a[aria-destination="glossref"] {

  *[rel=glossary] {

Also covers the case where you have role="link" instead of a real link,
and the now mostly legacy case of image maps, instead of using multiple
CSS declarations

>    background-color: yellow;
>
>    border: 2px blue;
>
> }
> div[role="link"][aria-destination="glossref"] {
>
>    background-color: yellow;
>
>    border: 2px blue;
> }
>

> <a aria-destination="glossref" href="..." >discombobulated</a>

<a rel="glossary" href="…"

already exists in the wild, but I am not sure how common it is.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#h-6.12
[2]
http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values#HTML5_link_type_extensions
[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-home