Re: Action-1708, Action-1709: Proposal for a Figure Role

Joanie,

I would move the first sentence of the last paragraph to be the second
sentence of the first paragraph. Like this:

figure (role)
A perceivable section of content that typically contains a graphical
document, images, code snippets, or example text. The parts of a figure may
be user-navigable.

Authors should provide a reference to the figure from the main text, but
the figure need not be displayed at the same location as the referencing
element. Authors may reference text serving as a caption using
aria-describedby and text serving as a label using aria-labelledby.

In addition, assistive technologies should enable users to quickly navigate
to figures. Mainstream user agents may enable users to quickly navigate to
figures.

Now the first paragraph states what a figure is and implicitly states how
it is different from an img role and calls out a significant feature. The
second paragraph is author guidance. The third paragraph is hopeful
guidance for user agents.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
     Accessibility Focal, Watson Solutions
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson