Re: Action-1708, Action-1709: Proposal for a Figure Role

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 22:20, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> A figure MAY have an associated description representing a caption and may have an associated label.

Does this imply that aria-describedby should be used for the caption? This, at least, is how I construe the above statement.

How then can the author provide a long description of the entire figure, distinct from the descriptions of its child elements? For example, a figure may contain, e.g., four images, and it could be necessary to give an overview/description of the entire figure which is separate from the description of each image. However, this overview is not necessarily what the author/publisher wants to deliver to all users in the text of a caption.

Thank you for your compliance.