Re: Name and Description computation

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:24:34 +0100, Richard Schwerdtfeger
<schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> A number of issues pertaining to name/description computation have come
> up - both for SVG, HTML, and Core. In fact, I had to leave our AAPI call
> with Joseph when Cynthia wanted to raise some issues related to UIA.

I have filed a handful of comments, because I still haven't managed to get
what happens straight in my head. Making the spec easy to review is really
important, or issues will take a lot longer to come up than they already
do, and therefore be even more painful to deal with.

> Also, SVG is a platform for some of you and I think it would be good to
> go through the name and computation description issues there so that we
> can ensure consistency across browsers.

There are some painful ones. And the nature of SVG makes it tricky - there
are things that need information which is not going to be rendered in text
- i.e. invisible metadata, the stuff that supposedly makes solutions
unacceptable.

More complicated is the way in which things can be mixed together.

> In the interest of clear communication I think we should try to get
> together on a number of calls to discuss the issues. I think it would
> take more than one call.

As far as possible, I would like to get the issues archived and easily
searchable. I'm not sure what you guys use for doing that. The spec says
"send comments to public-pfwg-comments@" so that is what I have been doing.

> Since we are approaching the holiday season what are people's
> availability in December.

Unpredictable. I have a bunch of commitments and some expectation that
things will change further.

> I will be on vacation the week of December 7 and I am sure
> most of us turn into pumpkins after December 25. In January I will be
> traveling January 5 through 7.

As far as I know I am mostly unavailable round weekends and more available
at other times. From some time around the 25th I'll be in Australia and
East Asia, until mid - late January.

cheers