Re: [REVIEW REQUESTED] Action-1725 (was Re: ISSUE-633 Changes ready for final review)

On 2015-11-12 3:16 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
> PLEASE NOTE: During the meeting, I don't believe we explicitly approved
> the changes to aria-busy. However, we discussed them at TPAC and if
> memory serves me we agreed they were valid. In addition, they seemed
> quite relevant and needed for the new feed role which was approved. So
> your humble editor made the executive decision to commit those changes.
> This, however, is why I'm asking you all for an explicit review. Please
> and thank you.:)

1.  Just confirming something:  The aria-busy state has always been
applicable to any element.  The "Used in Roles" entry of its
characteristics table says so in the current 1.0 recommendation [1]:

"Used in Roles: All elements of the base markup".

However, the 1.0 values table only speaks of live regions.  The new
values table text replaces that with "element".

Is that part of the change that was discussed at TPAC, and about which
you made an executive decision?  If so, +1.

2.  The following sentence from the 1.0 spec has been removed from the
new version of aria-busy:

" For example, until a page is fully initialized and complete, an author
could mark the document element as busy."

Is that now disallowed, or does the new text imply it?  If disallowed,
then technically, aria-busy is not applicable to any element.  (Aside:
a possible use case is our specs served up by rawgit.  Since ReSpec is
modifying the document in place, the document is busy until ReSpec is
done.  It might help if aria-busy was set on the document element while
ReSpec scripts are running, and then set to false when ReSpec is finished).

3.  Some of the old text for aria-busy is repeated in section 5.2.5
"Required Owned Elements", third paragraph [2].  This is a hold over
from the 1.0 recommendation.  Should that text be modified?

Hope that helps.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-wai-aria-20140320/states_and_properties#aria-busy
[2] https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#mustContain (third
paragraph).

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -