Re: FW: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

Charles Nevile writes:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:42:47 +0100, Steve Faulkner
> <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On 10 November 2015 at 16:17, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
> >
> >>But, Rich, Details can be used for all kinds of things, including
> >>advertising, as Charles points out. We need a way to know that this
> >>particular Details is a description, as opposed to some other in the
> >>page.
> >>

> >The aria-roledescription attribute could be used to disambiguate
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/#aria-roledescription
>
> Yes.
>
> Except it provides a human-readable description rather than something that
> can be used to provide consistent user interface in a browser, and it's a
> pretty clunky approach.
>
> I'm not a fan of the proposal.

I suspect we might prefer something that's simply binary? So, a new
role? Maybe something like ARIA-RoleHasDescript ?

It was proposed (during PF this week) that a simple ARIA role could
trigger notification for AT users, and could trigger CSS to show the non
AT user that a description is available.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net