Re: [css-content] Request for note regarding selection, search, and accessibility of generated content

Hi Michiel.

On 11/11/2015 04:57 AM, Michiel Bijl wrote:
> I don’t understand the question regarding VoiceOver in the mail you link
> to. Could you explain? Maybe I can test it.

[...]

>> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Nov/0094.html

Does VoiceOver have commands to read rendered text by unit (character,
word, line)? If so, what happens when you use those commands to read
text with generated content? In the case of line, is the line spoken the
same as the line rendered? Or does VoiceOver, like at least some Windows
screen readers, have its own definition of "line" (e.g.
125-characters-long slices of the text within the element)?

Some background: From what I have seen, generated content IS exposed to
ATs when you ask for the entire text of this element. BUT it fails to be
exposed on some platforms if you ask for a specific unit (line, word,
character) for a given offset.

As a result of that failure, ATs that provide navigation based on the
layout of the rendered text, e.g. so the screen reader's next/previous
line commands read the same, full line displayed to sighted users, might
not be able to get that text using their platform's accessibility API to
get text by a specified unit. Instead, they would have to suspect that
their API didn't give them all the text and then implement workarounds
to figure out what the actual line is.

HTH.
--joanie