Re: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> You could link it via aria-describedby to whatever you are describing.  This way you have an explicit extended description.

But aria-describedby is for non-extended descriptions, standard
descriptions that can't be associated with standard controls. Admittedly
the formal description of the element is ambiguous, in that it
explicitly clarifies that a description is more verbose than a label,
but currently all AT (I believe) treats aria-describedby as a
non-extended description which should be placed in the normal flow and
not reported as special. Is the proposal that aria-describedby should
always mean extended descriptions, and anything which is less verbose
than an extended description belongs in a label? If that's the case, the
formal definition of aria-describedby will need to be clarified, and
screenreader manufacturers will need to be asked to change the behavior
accordingly (e.g. to treat aria-describedby like longdesc, not like
aria-labelledby).

Deborah Kaplan