Re: What constitutes a change of content in a live region?

IMO it should be interpreted as a change, but like you I discovered that
it didn't actually trigger anything with JAWS. The spec is pretty clear
on this (in aria-relevant)
"When text changes are denoted as relevant, user agents/must/monitor any
descendant node change that affects thetext alternative computation
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/#textalternativecomputation>of the
live region as if the accessible name were determined from contents
(nameFrom: contents
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/#namecalculation>). For example, a
text change would be triggered if theHTML|alt|attribute of a contained
image changed. However, no change would be triggered if there was a text
change to a node outside the live region, even if that node was
referenced (viaaria-labelledby
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/#aria-labelledby>) by an element
contained in the live region."

I think we resolved it in our implementation by either removing the
image and adding it again rather than just changing the alt text (not
ideal but I think I recall that it worked for JAWS and didn't break
anything else), or using hidden text and a decorative image (again not
ideal)

Regards,
James

--
Regards, James

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
James Nurthen | Principal Engineer, Accessibility
Phone: +1 650 506 6781 <tel:+1%20650%20506%206781> | Mobile: +1 415 987
1918 <tel:+1%20415%20987%201918> | Video: james.nurthen@oracle.com
<sip:james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Oracle Corporate Architecture
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood Cty, CA 94065