Re: warnings on outdated specs/docs

I expect no one would disagree that all our documents need future
proffing to the best of our ability. We think about such things in our
technical specs, and some chairs and some W3C staff have been known to
hold up publication when a document's header is lacking such data as a
date, a copyright notice, pointer to the persistent URI where a latest
version can be found, etc. Even though such bureacratic delays can
sometimes seem persnickety in the moment, they're clearly important for
the long run.

The problem, however, is not documents actively in development so much
as documents that have not had updates in a very long time, yet whose
contents no longer correctly represent their subject. While we should be
able to expect that readers would note publication dates and
automatically suspect a document long unupdated, where the subject
technology is known to be still in development, we can clearly do better
for these old documents, as Steve suggests.

With the particular case of the ARIA Overview document, I take the
suggestion for a warning as good advice and will follow through. We will
the same for other introductory ARIA documents as well, until we are
actually able to update them appropriately.

I should note that we are aware of the problem, and are actively moving
to remedy the situation. However, our plan is to start with the
introductory material in our FPWD and heartbeat specification documents
and move to the introductory and overview documents once the
specification documents are fully updated.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net