From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2015 10:57 AM
To: John Foliot
Cc: 'Joseph Scheuhammer'; 'Cynthia Shelly'; 'David Bolter'; 'Dominic Mazzoni'; 'James Craig'; 'WAI Protocols & Formats'; 'Alexander Surkov'
Subject: RE: aria-level a required property for role="heading" or a supported property with an RFC SHOULD for authors

John,

aria-level is also used in tree widgets. If we change aria-level like "auto" or "subsection" it will create other problems. Trees already work find with integer levels as trees are hierarchical.

The problem with headings is that they are not yet HTML has chosen to put a level on them without making them hierarchical in the DOM structure. There is probably good reasons for this as documents can span multiple pages.

I would be resistant to changing values in aria-level for these reasons. I don't want to try to "fix" things in other widgets that are not broken and have widespread adoption.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

[Inactive hide details for "John Foliot" ---06/19/2015 05:03:58 PM---Hi Rich,]"John Foliot" ---06/19/2015 05:03:58 PM---Hi Rich,