RE: aria-level a required property for role="heading" or a supported property with an RFC SHOULD for authors

Hi James,

1)      Feedback (anecdotal but legitimate) supplied to this list by Leonie suggests this *is* a problem (albeit not a critical one). FWIW, I have also been fostering a discussion internally at Deque about this, and I have received similar feedback from multiple daily screen-reader users on our team, confirming that this introduces confusion – in fact I have heard more than once that given the choice between just being told there is a heading, versus being told a heading level (even if incorrect) would be the preferred outcome, so…

2)      While I can appreciate the concern over ‘bloat’, I am also inclined to think that adding good features to aria isn’t bloat, it’s a reflection of a need, and here one that seems to truly exist.

3)      You wrote: “Authors can already define heading levels a number of ways… Or undefined (no attribute) when the level is unknown or irrelevant.” – but this is exactly the problem. We are hearing (directly, from affect users) that “irrelevant” is a non-starter, that the heading level *IS* relevant (and in a real surprise to me) even if “wrong” is still better than no level information at all, and the preferred response (which also suggests that VO’s current resolution to this issue is also the less-preferred solution, according to users). I will again note that Leonie’s feedback suggests that this is not really a “preferred” solution at all, but instead the lesser of two flawed options currently on offer.

While we do not have unanimity around the idea, there does seem to be some desire and interest in introducing reserved-values (beyond integers) for this attribute – I think Jon’s suggestion of “auto” or “sub-section”, coupled with explicit numbering, is an interesting and workable pattern, and I frankly don’t think it would be “bloat”, nor that confusing for authors moving forward. The real question is, can we (will we?) get support for this idea from implementers? (I think another suggestion – setting a default enumerated value when the level is undeclared – could also be workable, although it still feels wrong to me)

Barring that, but recognizing the problem that exists for authors today, I think the solution should be (and related to the actual subject line) that aria-level be a “required property”, as it appears that the affected user-base prefers a level heading, even if incorrect. (And yes, for those following closely, my mind has been changed from my initial position – affected users have made the case)

Thoughts? Feedback from other implementers?

Cheers!

JF