Re: aria-kbdshortcuts property for review - ACTION-1642

> 1. This does not account for cross-platform usage. E.g. <button> shortcut
> is space bar on Mac, Enter on Windows, and that’s the simplest example. The
> “meta” keyword is a start, but that only helps with simple shortcuts, like
> copy/paste.

Wait, but those are shortcuts to activate the control *when focused*.
Totally different.

This proposal is for shortcuts that activate a control or command
*globally*, like Cmd+S for Save. Yes, it's up to the author to adjust that
for each platform, but many web apps have separate keyboard shortcuts for
each platform, e.g.: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/179738?hl=en

> 2. This does not add support for actually capturing the keys, so there is
> a high potential for mismatch via author error, leading to user confusion.
> I feel this is the strongest case against this new property.

How is that different than anything else in ARIA?

> 3. There is no internationalization support. E.g. What is Ctrl+M on a
> Russian or Hindi keyboard?

If a web app is fully localized into Russian, then presumably they've come
up with keyboard shortcuts that work in Russian too. All they need to do is
describe that shortcut according to the spec. That's why I tied it to the
keyboard event spec - that way it supports every key from every
international keyboard that's possible to capture with JavaScript.

Not using the correct localized shortcut here would be just as bad as not
localizing alt text.

4. Minor nits: “kbdshortcuts” is a hybridization of abbreviation and not,
> and also pluralized for some reason.

There were several votes for aria-keys, I like that. It's plural on
purpose, an element can have multiple shortcuts.

> In order to make this work consistently, you’d need something more akin to
> @srcset, but with an added DOM interface to account for keyboard event
> interception.

srcset is needed because the web server doesn't know the resolution of the
monitor at request time, right? The web server does know the locale of the
user agent when serving the page, so it only needs to generate one shortcut
- the one for the user's locale.