Re: Universal Menus and a research script

Bryan,

Thanks for your efforts. I find menus somewhat problematic in that some
folks want to put a link + menu on the main menu bar or use css with
multi-level menus. I never found a practical solution for either situation.
In CSS 4 focus-within should help menus that depend on the bubbling
behavior of hover work for focus and James Craig has been nice enough to
put a bug in web-kit to get it done. But I haven't seen additional traction
on getting focus-within implemented. Yours is the first multilevel menu
that behaves well.

I looked at
http://whatsock.com/tsg/Coding%20Arena/ARIA%20Menus/Vertical%20%28Internal%20Content%29/demo.htm
. Overall I liked the menu as it provides a reliable way to provide the
menu functionality for keyboard users (sighted and blind). I do have a few
picky issues. I found the way to close the menu using the keyboard is using
the tab key, which took me back to the button opening the menu. I found
this non-intuitive. I would have expected the left arrow to close the menu.
The button opening the menu does not have an menu indicator; the sub menus
have little arrows to show that they can open I would add an indicator on
the button.  I would also switch from using a long skinny arrow to using
the unicode black down pointing arrow (' \25BC' or ▼ or ▼  )
as it is widely used.

Finally, I would suggest you WordPress code or plug in for the menu.
WordPress allows developers to programmatically create menus, but they are
silent for blind users and when generating multi-level menus don't generate
submenus that a sighted keyboard user can use. WordPress is widely used and
some users won't fix their menus even if given the HTML, css and JavaScript
to do so. But if you give them an accessible version you may see lots of
non-commercial sites become more PwD friendly.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
            W3C SVG A11y Task Force
                IBM Watson Group