From: Alexander Surkov [mailto:surkov.alexander@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:12 AM
To: Joseph Scheuhammer
Cc: Dominic Mazzoni; Daniel Trebbien; W3C WAI Protocols & Formats
Subject: Re: aria-rowindex and aria-colindex

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu<mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
On 2015-01-13 12:35 PM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
Otherwise aria-setsize on list item is a rather weird thing imo.

The rationale is to handle large data sets where only some of the items are loaded into the DOM, at a time.  For example, the DOM may have only, say, 20 items from somewhere from an actual set of, say 10, 000.  Something has to indicate which items (aria-posinset) are loaded, and how big the set really is (aria-setsize):

I understand the propose, I questioned about implementation. I meant that aria-setsize look more reasonable on the list rather than on list items, at least it's true in case of single group list.

" If all items in a set are present in the document structure, it is not necessary to set this attribute<http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#dfn-attribute>, as the user agent can automatically calculate the set size and position for each item. However, if only a portion of the set is present in the document structure at a given moment, this property<http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#dfn-property> is needed to provide an explicit indication of an element's position."
(http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#aria-posinset)

There is a similar rationale for large grids -- the need to declare which row (aria-rowindex) and which column (aria-colindex) a gridcell belongs to when only part of the grid is loaded into the DOM.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
           - G. Bernhardt -