Re: role checkbox doesn't support aria-readonly

To me this is a deficiency of HTML and the kind of thing that developers
need to end up using ARIA to paper over.
The lack of a read-only checkbox state forces developers to use disabled
when they want checkboxes to not be changeable. This leads to a
legibility issue as disabled checkboxes are (intentionally) hard to read.
When a UI design calls for a checkbox which cannot be modified - and
where the value is still important to be conveyed to the user - readonly
is the correct choice. This also applies to the new switch role which
needs to support the readonly state.

Regards,
James