From: Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: "public-pfwg@w3.org" <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Date: 02/22/2015 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: Is there a public list of events that should fire when ARIA
            is used?

If the description is exposed in the "description" field when you explore
it with a MSAA tool, then EVENT_OBJECT_DESCRIPTIONCHANGE would be the event
that should fire.

However, if aria-describedby points to another element with visible text on
the page, then it's exposed via IAccessibleRelation with the code
IA2_RELATION_DESCRIBED_BY. I can't find an event that's supposed to fire if
that property changes. Maybe someone else knows?

In either case, it's not clear to me that dynamically changing the
accessible description - by any means - should necessarily cause a screen
reader to speak the description. In general the only standard way to get a
screen reader to speak something asynchronously (i.e. not in response to a
user event) is with a live region. Any other case where it speaks something
is typically dependent on the screen reader and not standardized.

- Dominic

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Bryan Garaventa <