Re: aria-describedat - Elsevier

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 16:52, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Use CSS driven styling from media queries. I guess I am not yet seeing the need for javascript here.

There is no need for it unless one wishes to define custom media features in JavaScript using the functionality that the CSS working group appears to be considering for inclusion in their spec. Even then, the JavaScript could reside in a Web-based EPUB reading system rather than in the content.

> WRT aria-describedat, how were you expecting to render the alternative content without javascript for all users? Browsers, will not render it automatically. Were you going to modify the e-readers to render "more information" type renderings with the epub readers?

This is the right question to be asking. aria-describedat is in the same position as longdesc - it would need to be implemented natively by the UA unless scripts could be used to process it; and there is already resistance from UA developers, so I think aria-describedat isn’t likely to proceed at this point.

Thank you for your compliance.