Re: More thoughts on ISSUE-736 -- names for list items (Resending to fix links)

On 2015-08-19 3:21 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
> Thus*if*  the list item is inside a list box or similar widget, then
> that list item should have a name.

A listitem will not appear inside a listbox.  The items of a listbox
have an option role.

 From the spec: "Authors MUST ensure elements with role listitem are
contained in, or owned by, an element with the role list or group".

And:  "[A list is a] group of non-interactive list items."

Thus, listitems are non-interactive and not widgets, but containers of
structured text.  The HTML equivalent is <li> elements. From that
perspective, as you say:

> So were it left up
> to me, textual list items in (un)ordered lists -- like those in the
> Doxygen-generated docs I mentioned -- would NOT have a name.

As it is currently written, the spec does not allow that.  In fact, it
mandates the opposite.

But, I see your point about interactivity and it does apply to treeitems
since they are expandable/collapsable.  They also suffer the
name-required + name-from-contents problem.  For that matter, so does
role button, which requires a name, and allows name-from-contents.
Here's one with a long name:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
mollit anim id est laborum.

This is leading to a larger issue regarding name-from-contents that
needs more thought.

However, I think we've strayed from the original issue, in which it is
claimed that authors' use of aria-label on listitems is overriding the
listitem's contents.  Which doesn't actually happen.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -