Re: More thoughts on ISSUE-736 -- names for list items (Resending to fix links)

On 08/19/2015 01:16 PM, Joseph Scheuhammer wrote:
> Hi Joanie, (et al)
>
> On 2015-08-19 11:57 AM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
>> An example of accessible names going (imho) horribly awry with list
>> items can be seen in doxygen-generated pages, such as this one:
>> http://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/doxygen/
>>
>> If I view that page in Firefox and use Accerciser to get the name of the
>> first list item of the accessible list associated with the left-hand
>> pane, I get:
>>
>> 'PulseAudio\xa0Introduction\xa0Simple API\xa0Asynchronous
>> API\xa0Threads\xa0Error Handling\xa0pkg-configSimple APIAsynchronous
>> APIChannel MapsSample Format SpecificationsVolume Control\xa0Deprecated
>> ListData StructuresFilesExamples'
>
> That looks like a name-from-contents computation, which follows from the
> spec:
> - Listitems and treeitems require an accessible name.
> - both roles allow name-from-contents.
>
> In the absence of an author supplied name (e.g., @aria-label), browsers
> are thereby required to create the name from the contents of the item.
>
> Your results are an argument for the author to supply a name to avoid
> these long names-from-contents.

What are the odds that we can get most authors to supply the name? Could
we not instead modify the name-from-contents computation of list items
so that it is limited to the displayed text for that list item; not all
of that item's visible descendants?

--joanie