Re: aria-describedat - Elsevier

> On Aug 18, 2015, at 17:37, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>  we have talked about using CSS media quiries to hide the content
> unless the user turns on a feature in the host OS platform that would
> trigger a media query attribute which would turn on the visibility of the
> details element in the book.

I would strongly support further development of the media query proposal, which would continue the good work accomplished by the IndieUI working group in this area.

The capability hinted at in section 10.1 of the Media Queries Level 4 editors’ draft, if specified and implemented, would enable organizations such as the DAISY Consortium or the IMS Global Learning Consortium to design more elaborate media features than those which might be provided for in a W3C specification.

See “Scripted custom media queries”: https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/

and note discussion of tis topic earlier in the year by the IndieUI working group.

In the EPUB context, a reading system implemented as a Web application could define custom media features in JavaScript according to conventions developed for example by one of the organizations noted above. These features could then be used in media queries within book content to select from among the available alternatives to an image, table or other construct. The user interface for specifying the user’s needs could be provided by the reading system or externally.

This is entirely compatible with the existence of system or user agent-level preferences reflected in media features; the idea is that custom media queries would enable more elaborate user needs/preferences to be defined and used in specific contexts.

Thank you for your compliance.