Re: aria-labelledby and recursion

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Matthew King <mattking@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that it recursively follows aria-labelledby until the
> "current node" either does not have labelledby or the reference became
> circular.

No, because of the part where it says "and the current node is not already
part of an aria-labelledby traversal" - that implies that once you're part
of an aria-labelledby traversal, you stop following aria-labelledby.

> It is not the easiest thing to follow though.
>
> It does say it is recursive in the descriptive text:
> "Text alternatives are built up, when appropriate, from all the relevant
> content contained within an element. This is accomplished via steps 2B and
> 2F, which are recursive, using the full set of rules to retrieve text from
> its own children or nodes it references."

Yes, there's definitely still recursion involved. The question is whether
we continue to follow aria-labelledby recursively too.

It's clear that we don't have consensus on how to interpret the spec. Does
anyone know what was actually intended?

At this point I'm basically planning to stick with Firefox's implementation
(no recursion for aria-labelledby) unless there's overwhelming consensus
the other way.