Re: ARIA 1.1 issue with role=region spec text and implied usage

Hey Matt, all.

Regarding this:

On 04/24/2015 12:09 PM, Matthew King wrote:

[...]

> It is kind of interesting that the examples are in figure elements and
> that those map to group. I do not think that is a very helpful mapping;
> I hope that is changing with ARIA 1.1.

I took a look at the html examples for the figure element [1]. To
summarize them:

* The first example has a figure element whose children are a
  figcaption and a pre element showing code.
* The second and third examples have a figure element whose children
  are a figcaption and img with alt text.
* The fourth example has a figure element whose children are a
  figcaption and paragraph containing part of a poem.
* The fifth example has nested figures (yay) but the nested figures
  are like the second and third examples, i.e. figcaption and img

With this in mind, I would claim that a "figure" is a pretty generic
container for which a caption is likely to be found. The meaningful
stuff are the children. So I'll ask the same question Steve did later in
this thread: What mapping would you use instead for the figure element?
Me, I think they're groups.

--joanie

[1]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/semantics.html#the-figure-element