From: Matthew King [mailto:mattking@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 9:09 AM
To: Bryan Garaventa
Cc: public-pfwg@w3.org
Subject: RE: ARIA 1.1 issue with role=region spec text and implied usage

Bryan,

I do not see any use of region on:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/carousels/structure/#using-wai-aria-roles-and-labels

Are you suggesting the figures containing example would be wrapped in regions? I would not make the same suggestion. I do not think it fits the intent of region.

It is kind of interesting that the examples are in figure elements and that those map to group. I do not think that is a very helpful mapping; I hope that is changing with ARIA 1.1.

I wish I had time to help contribute to that page. There are problems with nearly all the landmarks, which is troubling on a WAI tutorial page.
For example, there is a link with role navigation. Much of what is inside main does not belong inside main. Several of the navigation regions are labeled using the word "navigation".

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com<mailto:mattking@us.ibm.com>