Re: Is there an html or WCAG definition of "modality" as it relates to keyboard behavior in a modeal dialog?

Shane, I completely agree that you need to be able to move focus from a
modal to the chrome or to other browser windows or tabs.

But, I do not think focus should leave a modal when tabbing or using arrow
keys. That is extremely problematic. It throws focus off into some far
away place that is in a completely different and unrelated context.

All browsers have a variety of keys, well-known to any kb user, that move
focus to other tabs, to the address bar, to the menu bar, etc. The
probability that someone who can not use the mouse does not know at least
one of those keys is probably 0 or so close to 0 that it can not be
measured. People who can not use the mouse probably will never get to the
modal without the keyboard if they don't know such a key.

I believe saying you must be able to tab to the browser chrome from a
modal because the user does not otherwise know how to get there is like
saying Windows apps should put the windows desktop in the tab order of all
Windows modals.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com