Re: Extension specifications / modules vs. ARIA Core (ACTION-1618)

Shane,

That makes sense.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson

From:	Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
To:	Fred Esch/Arlington/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:	"W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <public-pfwg@w3.org>, Protocols
            and Formats Working Group WG <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>,
            "public-dpub-aria@w3.org" <public-dpub-aria@w3.org>
Date:	04/16/2015 12:00 PM
Subject:	Re: Extension specifications / modules vs. ARIA Core
            (ACTION-1618)
Sent by:	ahby@aptest.com

Fred,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Fred Esch <fesch@us.ibm.com> wrote:
  Shane,

  I anticipate that the SVG a11y task force will want to create new roles
  for objects in graphics. We imagine the roles will be needed for
  navigation and assistive technologies. I doubt graphics roles will extend
  existing roles as graphic and charts in particular have their own terms
  and uses.  For instance some roles we may want are data, axis, legend,
  label, scale, symbol and a few more.  These things have semantic meaning
  in charts, maps, blue prints and STEM graphics. Making graphics roles
  extend existing aria roles which relate to web pages would be forced and
  unnatural.

Of course.  But as you know ARIA Core has high level abstract roles from
which the whole taxonomy hangs.  It should be possible to extend those
abstract roles for the SVG work.  If it is not, then the taxonomy is at
fault and we need to introduce new high level abstract roles as well.  I
hope that is not the case, but if it were I envision that it would be done
in the Core spec so that it would remain consistent.  Does that make
sense?

--
Shane McCarron