Re: Agenda: April 9, 2015 WAI-PF ARIA Caucus

Hi, Rich. Commenting table stuff inline (thanks to Joanie to pointing this
out).

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> *Agenda: April 9, 2015 WAI-PF ARIA Caucus*
>
> Time of meeting is 12:30PM EST, 9:30AM PST, 16:30 UTC, duration is 1.5
> hours
> Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 2742 ("ARIA")
> IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #aria.
>
> * - Identify Scribe *
>
> * - Heads Up Items:*
>
> * * No follow-on aria-describedat discussion yet. We need to get the
> publishers to the table.*
>

> *- Action 1349 Patch issue-561: we need @aria-placeholder as backup for
> @placeholder in custom fields. - *
> *https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1349*
> <https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1349>
>  - placeholder branch:
> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-1349/aria/aria.html#aria-placeholder
>  - last post (at the time of this agenda):
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Apr/0086.html
>
> * Here is the precedence from HTML mapping spec:*
> Use aria-labelledby
>     Otherwise use aria-label
>     Otherwise use the associated label element
>     Otherwise use the placeholder attribute
>     Otherwise use the title attribute
>     If none of the above yield a usable text string there is no accessible
> name
>

> * - Review Table Branch (Actions 1395, 1293, 1403; issue 423)  Joanie
> Diggs*
>  - *https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Mar/0132.html*
> <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Mar/0132.html>
>     - Why aria-rowcount was not confined to the table/grid:
> http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-aria-minutes.html
> Grid/table. For older IE browsers ATs only access content from the DOM
>        - Treegrids expand rows increasing row count. ... Again would need
> to go back to the container
>        - The net, net: If we don't want to support older IE versions (US
> Federal, banking, state governments) then we can limit supporting the row
> count to the containing grid/table
>          It will be up to the user agent to propagate the row count down
> to either the cell or row level. Group needs to decide. Will need to put
> ATVs on notice - Go to AAPIs or performance
>          will be impacted. Also, will there be an event notification of
> changes in row count?

So we have two statements

* the browser has to expose aria-rowcount some way
* the AT has to support it

Then some AT don't want to invest much into aria-rowcount implementation,
and thus they want to see it on a row, and the proposal is to obligate the
author to duplicate aria-rowcount on rows. Is this observation correct? If
it is then I'd say it's more reasonable to have either the browser or the
AT doing that rather than the author. My preference would be if those old
AT would care about new attribute support themselves.

Thank you.
Alex.