Re: What do you think about the use of aria-label on elements with no role?

> On Apr 7, 2015, at 11:42, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:31 AM, White, Jason J <jjwhite@ets.org> wrote:
> I would also prefer not to honor aria-label on elements with a generic role. Some authors would very much appreciate the opportunity to write <span aria-label=“pronunciation”>original text</span>. However, this has the undesirable effect of also presenting the value of aria-label in braille output, where it can be particularly verbose and inappropriate, making the text harder rather than easier to read. The author’s implicit assumption that text to speech is being used simply does not hold in this case.
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with generic elements, though. I've seen authors incorrectly use aria-label to improve the pronunciation of a button, too. I'm fine with not allowing aria-label on a generic element but I don't think this is a good argument for or against it.

It’s the only potentially legitimate reason I can think of for applying aria-label to a generic element, e.g., span. Since I don’t think it’s a desirable use case and allowing it simply creates more opportunities to misuse aria-label, I am unaware of any good reason for allowing this property on generic elements.

> Yes, we need ways to specify pronunciation - but independent of that, authors sometimes want to present different text for accessibility.
That’s true, but I’m still at a loss to come up with persuasive use cases for doing so on elements that would be assigned a generic role under James’ proposal. I can envisage that an author might want to label a section of content, but in that situation they should be using landmark roles or headings available to all users, rather than aria-label on div elements.

I hope this helps to clarify my points. It seems we have an emerging consensus on the topic anyway.

Thank you for your compliance.