Re: What do you think about the use of aria-label on elements with no role?

> On Apr 6, 2015, at 19:17, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
> Still open for discussion. I'd probably err on the side of ~"not apply to those with a specifically generic role (e.g. div/span) but still open on those with a role that is not mapped to ARIA (e.g. <video>)." The goal is to get us closer to a 1:1 mapping for ARIA to each host language so these ambiguities will fade over time.

I would also prefer not to honor aria-label on elements with a generic role. Some authors would very much appreciate the opportunity to write <span aria-label=“pronunciation”>original text</span>. However, this has the undesirable effect of also presenting the value of aria-label in braille output, where it can be particularly verbose and inappropriate, making the text harder rather than easier to read. The author’s implicit assumption that text to speech is being used simply does not hold in this case.

Nevertheless, the above-mentioned scenario does point to a genuine need to be able to customize pronunciation, or indeed braille output, to ensure high-quality rendering. There is a need for implementations of SSML or CSS 3 speech properties, or, failing this, the creation of a suitable mechanism that authors can easily use to specify pronunciation.

Tempting as it may be, aria-label is not the right mechanism for this, and the observation earlier in this thread that it is inconsistently implemented reinforces this conclusion.

Thank you for your compliance.