Re: [REVIEW REQUESTED][ARIA] placeholder

Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote on 04/05/2015 01:17:57 AM:
> Hi Bryan, the analogy does not make sense. The examples provided are
> a random sample of usage from approx 80,000 web sites.

Steve, If a random sample demonstrated high frequency usage of selected in
the way Bryan described, how does the analogy fail?

If a random sample demonstrated that the <p> element or <<span> elements
immediately preceding an input very frequently contained a valid label if
if another labeling technique was not used, does that mean we should make
those elements part of the accessible name calculation?

Steve continues:
> What I am trying to illustrate is that how placeholder content is used
in
> accessible name calculation needs to take into account how
> placeholder is used in web sites, in the wild, not how we wish it
> would be used.

I am questioning whether placeholder should be allowed to be a part of the
name calculation. Yes, it may sometimes have a useful value. But, I am not
convinced that calling it an acceptable alternative to the long list of
options we already have available to authors is a good idea. Other random
samples could demonstrate how using placeholder as a label would be
extremely confusing to AT users.

Another equally valid position could be .... Authors have had enough
warning and guidance against this practice so too bad for the 5,560 in
your random sample. Kill the pernitious practice before the random sample
of 80k turns of 60k such pages. Make all conformance checkers fail them.

Another possibility is to force user agents to fix the accessibility
problems with placeholder presentation so that they really could be a
fully accessible alternative.

Another possibility is for new options in HTML or CSS that make it super
easy for authors to use the label element in a way that is both completely
accessible and mobile friendly so that the desire to co-opt placeholder
for this purpose evaporates.

To some, it may feel the placeholder as alternative label train has left
the station. But, before jumping on board, I am curious to know if we are
evaluating the potential efficacy of other viable paths.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com